Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Kill Order (The Maze Runner Series)




 This book was not what I was exspecting. (See my post on The Death Cure to see what I expected) Below (warning, LOTS of spoilers, you will be warned before you get there) I'll tell you what I got. Before I get there though let talk about this book in general.
   Um... wow, this book was not what I expected it to be. This was suppose to be a prequel to The Maze Runner Trilogy. Read my review of

Was it good? Yes!

Was it really a prequel? Yes.

Did reading it mentally wreak me? YES!
    I mean this thing was intense... I'll just warn you, this story will play with your emotions. Not much down time when it comes to action.

    The story actually does not circle around any of the main characters of the original trilogy which I was quite confused by, but it is relevant to the over all story. It's an interesting direction to go in for a prequel... but pretty brilliant if you just sit back and trust the author and where he is going with it.

________________ Spoilers Alert__________________

    As I said above... this is NOTHING of what I expected it to be!

    I thought something was up when the Epilogue started with Thomas being put into the Maze which obviously is where the story picks up in the beginning. Shortest prequel ever. Then first chapter does go back in time. 13 years in the Appalachian Mountains. I was confused cause I was thinking this was going to be about Thomas and suddenly we are following this kid named Mark. I know from book #1 that all the kids where renamed but this Mark was too old to be Thomas and couldn't see how he was anyone else in the trilogy either. I was skeptical at how much I would like this at the beginning. So many unanswered questions and now I'm starting to have to learn a whole new set of characters! What is this?

    I did like reading how the whole thing started. I liked how the author would jump to the bargaining of the sun flares in between the current story. I lived in NYC at one point and have spent time in the Appalachians Mountains but not so far as where they ended up. I spent time in what is called the Crystalline Appalachians which is in the area of New Jersey. Beautiful place (See my review of Star Wars Planet of Twilight to see my adventure in the Crystalline Appalachians)

    Then Dee Dee shows up and I think I might know what is happening now. This little girl is close to Thomas and Teresa's age though a little older by about too years, Thomas was 16 in The Maze Runner I assumed so was Teresa (I don't remember it being mentioned) So that made this girl a little to old for Teresa, that would have made her about 18 in The Maze Runner. Not impossible but I still was not sure if she was suppose to be Teresa or not. Rather confused my best theory was Dee Dee was Teresa... then after a very tear jerking end... END, as the authors "thank you"s was the next page It was NEVER clear who Dee Dee was or what happened to her! Yeah, like Rogue One, everyone dies... except Dee Dee.

    After letting the emotions die after reading the end I explored the last pages where normally a preview of another book in normally found but not this book... the book did not end at the author's acknowledgement page. I found Teresa's secret file! Here we jump ahead a few years and Thomas is back in the story. It is here we find out for sure Teresa was in fact Dee Dee but we still are left in the dark about Thomas' real name even though we do find out how he was renamed Thomas after the inventor Thomas Edison.

   And also, even though Teresa was in the story there is not a lot of her so we know where she came from her but just starting to understand who she is.

    This was a very cleverly written prequel but I was disappointed I got no answers about a lot of things.... so.... I took a look at the cover of The Fever Code, maybe that would give me a hint if this author ever planned on telling us what happen during the creation of the maze and more about the characters in the trilogy, their back story. I was washed over with relief, the front cover says it is about the creation of the Maze! I'm pretty sure The Fever Code is the last book in The Maze Runner's series... but I have to wonder if there will ever be a sequel…


(P D June 27th 2019)
Mark, Teresa, The Death Cure, The Kill Order, the maze runner series, The torch trials, Thomas, #dashnerarmy, James Dashner, the death cure, Young Adult, zombies, walking dead, Maze runner prequel, trilogy, Appalachian Mountains, New York City, Dee Dee, Trina, the fever code, New Jersey, The Maze Runner Series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Translate