Friday, June 21, 2019

The Death Cure (The Maze Runner Series)

    Here I reach the last book in The Maze Runner trilogy, The Death Cure. This is not the last book in the series though. There are two more. One I believe is the next, The Kill Order which is a Prequel but I don't know what the last book will be about. I don't like to chance a spoiler so I'm not going to look it up but I do have a copy of both waiting for me. I bought the entire set off E-bay which I talk about in my Review of The Maze Runner Book #1 and The Scorch Trials (Book #2)

SPOILERS AHEAD    ___________________________

    I had two theories on where this book was going after reading book #1 and #2 and ended up right on both! I'm glad there are more then 3 books! Many Hunger Games fans would have liked more like that as well. (won't get into that here) At this point I still don't know how I feel about some of the characters. Like Teresa... I had a feeling Thomas would end up with Brenda at the end but I didn't expect Teresa to be killed off at the end! So I'm left wondering if he could have been happy with her and would they ever get back together. I guess now to get any insight to that is to have a prequel to find out how these characters interacted with each other before going into the Maze.

    I wondered in my last blog post about Aris... he did not play a big role in this one either but I feel there is more to him and I'm wondering about Newt. He never got his memories restored so when he was begging Thomas to kill him when he was saying he had always hated Thomas did he mean since the Maze or before that. Did Newt have memories return or was he just desperate and it was a way to push Thomas, a way of breaking the emotional connection? In the end I do not believe Newt hated Thomas, the Thomas that he got to know in the Maze that is, but what about before, it made me wonder.

 And that is something I was wondering about Thomas. Did the Maze change him. "Rat Man" claimed he worked for Thomas at one point. It is made fairly clear he survived the first round of researchers... Thomas never got his memory back so we don't know exactly what he was involved with and not involved with WICKED.

    Actually, we yet know what Thomas's real name was... if that isn't his real name. We are told in Maze Runner the boys were given names of smart famous people. But everyone continues to call him "Thomas" so maybe his name is Thomas.
 
   Another thing! What is this thing at the end about the Flare being let out on purpose to control population after the Sun Flares started??? And Thomas was candidate #1 because he was so rebellious. Was the virus created to kill those who had more rebellious traits to keep a more controllable population but just ended up killing everybody... Thomas had everything going on in his head the Flare was suppose to destroy but he was immune...

Footnote: May I repeat, this book is not for kids! The Death Cure is more violent then last two! There is mild language but to me the scene with Thomas and Newt is too much for at least younger teens. Newt begs his best friend to shoot him in the head so he will not have to lose his mind with the virus and eventual Thomas does do it. I just want to make that clear for parents what is in these books as I've seen a number of places saying they are for kids... no, I would not give these to kids. Great story telling... NOT for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Translate